Bringing Asset Management to the Shipbuilding Industry
Opus used its global knowledge to create an asset management plan for one of Canada's largest docks.
Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) manages a group of federally owned assets across the country, collectively referred to as the Engineering Assets Portfolio. The portfolio is unique, complex and highly diverse, including seven bridges, five dams, numerous wharf structures and other specialized assets.
The Esquimalt Graving Dock and Ship Repair Facility (EGD) is the largest deep-sea shipbuilding and repair facility on Canada's Pacific Coast and is the largest solid foundation graving dock on the West Coast of the Americas and is one of only two Canadian West Coast dry docks with the capacity to handle vessels in excess of Panamax size, up to 100,000 Deadweight Tons (dwt). The Esquimalt Graving Dock operates as an 'open access' multi-user facility meaning it provides common services (on a fee-for-service basis) and multi-user access to the dry dock infrastructure for a variety of private sector companies.
Opus, working in partnership with PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, assisted PWGSC with the development of an Engineering Asset Management Plan (EAMP) for the Esquimalt Graving Dock. The EAMP is a comprehensive business plan that outlines the strategy for managing the asset. Its purpose is to assist PWGSC in making informed decisions regarding the management of this unique and complex asset over its useful life. Key project tasks completed include:
- Reviewed background information and previously completed Master Plans
- Reviewed past inspection and condition reports and provided input on current state and future needs
- Prepared detail descriptions of asset components that collectively make up the graving dock facility
- Developed strategic directions and goals for management of the facility
- Identified financial, operational and functional performance of the facility and individual assets
- Identified current issues and made recommendations to resolves these issues